Sunday, August 7, 2016

Time To Get My Smokey On!

I have found it rather curious that I felt the need to create some rules for myself since joining WW.  I am not sure why--especially because for me the appeal of WW was that there really aren't many rules.   In my mind the two rules for WW are:

#1 Stay within your points
#2 Drink your water

Even these rules are not do or die.  For instance Rule #1, we are given a daily allotment of SP, but we are also given a weekly allotment to cover our oopsies or navigate special events.  If that is not enough we can swap some FP over.
 Rule #2, water helps us lose weight in many ways, but I still fall short of my water quota quite often, yet still lose.

One of the hardest things for me to believe about WW is that there are no rules forbidding certain foods or food groups.  Even 19 months after joining this still confounds me.  I guess the big difference between WW and every other weight loss plan or self contrived hair brain scheme is that WW puts control into my hands.WW has me making every food choice. Sure they have menu ideas, recipes and SP spread suggestions, but no pre-scripted regime that must be followed.  WW teaches me self control rather than dependency on a certain group or special prepared diet foods.

I think society has so deeply ingrained the need for rules into my mind that when they are absent--I make up a few of my own.  When I was teaching--I had very few classroom rules--but the ones I had were non-negotiable.  Well for good or for bad here are a few of the rules I follow with my implementation rate in ( ).

#1 No matter what the scale shows WI day is not a day I allow myself to go off plan.  So if Otis (the scale) is up--I will not stress or emo eat on WI day. Likewise if Otis is down, there is no celebratory eating allowed.  (99%)

#2 No matter how bad (or good) my week went the day before WI I eat light and carefully watch my sodium (100%)

#3 Eat SFT at least 3 days per week (100%)

#4 Walk a minimum 60 minutes a day, no matter how tired (99%)

#5 Absolutely no fast food if I am by myself (99 44/100%)

These rules serve me very well, and for whatever reason I pretty much keep them.

Now then, there are other things I call deals I make with myself.  Deals I do  take seriously, but am not as hard core about keeping.  Some deals I made with my implementation rate in ( ) :

A. I measure  my 0SP foods just so that I am mindful about what a serving size looks like. (50%)
B. No seconds unless 15-20 minutes go by (75%)
C. Buy only single serving of items I have trouble controlling (80%)
D. I get my Smokey on-- "A taste of honey is worse than none at all"--if that is how I feel about an item, then I have none. (75%)


DS#2 has a this thing he does (this is the 3% body fat son), I am not even sure where/how or why he picked up on it. Immo ask when I see him Wednesday---before any meal or biggish snack/dessert he drinks a full glass of water. I think the next deal I make will be to do this before snacks/desserts.


As with all things I strive for, after awhile the some rules are so ingrained that I no longer need them to be a rule--they have become part of life.  When this happens, I remove them from the rule list and then move a "deal" item to the rule list.  They are not gone but rather go to another list that I call my lifestyle--things I just do.

So that is where I am at today.  I have decided to move SFT 3x/week to the lifestyle category. I will also be moving D to the rule list. If I feel that half of  a treat is won't satisfy me then I will not have any at all.  Time to get my Smokey on!  "A taste of honey is worsethan none at all,"    "In that case I don't want no part; because that would only break my heart..."    "If I feel like lovin' me, if I got the notion,  I second that emotion..."

What are your hard core rules you follow?

4 comments:

  1. Good rules....good system! To answer your question you asked on my blog...yes it is ok to add my blog to your blog list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! & thank you--now if I remember how. LOL

      Delete
  2. You have some really great rules. The only die hard rules that I have are that I have not bought a candy bar or eaten my "old" favorite fast food meals in over 5 years. I can't say "no" fast food, because I do eat some fast food salads and select items. Just not those killer meal deals I used to live on. I need to incorporate more rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have my share of fast food--but like you I choose the healhier items, mostly. I used to do real damage to myself when ever I was eating fast food by myself.

      Delete