Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Vacay is Over and I'm Thinking About Drinking

Well, summer is drawing to a close and I just need to hold it together one more week to show a loss this month.  We got home Sunday night from our latest trip and all I could think was that I had to go to WI ASAP in order to reset my focus.

So I got up early, showered and off I went to get the news of what I was certain was substantial gain.  Monday is not my usual WI day and I was feeling like the odd girl out knowing I would be the old lady at this Mommy meeting.  But I had to go & face the music because my usual WI day is Wed and we are going to be in LA (Dr appts start up again).  I was relieved to see my usual leader and ecstatic (and stunned) to see I had a 2 .4 lbs loss while away those 9 days.

The meeting was just what I needed; I even saw our super senior couple from the Wed meeting there.  Afterwards I went to the store to get some fresh fruit and pick up chicken breast for dinner.  While there I bought myself these beautiful sunflowers.  My house is a wreck because all the camper stuff threw up all over my living room and even spilled over into the kitchen and laundry room.  My ulterior motive for the flowers was in case surprise company stops by.  I would invite them in and direct their attention to the sunflowers and distract them from the mess.  As if.


Ever since yesterday I have been mulling over how I managed a loss while away (I sure would love a repeat).  Here's my thought process:

1. It's a fluke; I got really, really lucky.
2. All that hiking and schlepping around campus paid off big time.
3. Choosing SFT breakfasts & lunches and doing the best I could with dinner helped way more than I thought,
4. Cutting that doughnut in half really worked.

But then I thought harder and although I am feeling really lucky, I thought about what was drastically different.
Confession time---(apologies to my drinking buddy Irna).

For quite awhile now a high estimate of my water intake is about 6 oz a day. Considering that I rarely drink my points that means I am, in theory, chronically dehydrated.   I hardly ever even feel thirsty.  It is not unusual for me to forget my vitamins (that's my  6 oz a day) and go all day & night with nothing to drink.  I am truly one of those people that water makes me nauseous. Even small sips.  But this trip to Utah--with the heat, walking all over, and hiking I forced down water (and felt nauseous the whole time). I did it because I was afraid of ending up in the ER with dehydration or worse a heat stroke.

Since joining WW I tried really hard to drink water--by adding a squeeze of lemon or other fruit--and by making weak herbal tea. At the beginning I was so nauseous that it curbed my eating big time--but feeling sick all the time was not (pardon the pun, I could not resist) my cup of tea.  I have decided to research this a bit and find out just what I can do about it.

In the meantime, I will drink what I can.

I used to think I was all alone--in like everything I was going through.  Now I know better, WW has taught me that I am not alone.  Which makes me ask--anyone else out there truly get sick from drinking water? And what do you do about it?

8 comments:

  1. I love water and I find the more I drink it the more I crave it, bringing us back to the theory that we are misreading those huger cues that were really thirst cues. Per the water balance app if it has caffeine it is negative water....too bad cause I drink lots of hot tea all year round. If I recall correctly Paula has the same reaction to water as you. So, she dinks coffe, lots of coffee. And your loss is probably a combo of all the reasons you listed. Congrats . And don't you hate dealing with the mess after coming home? That will be me next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great loss while on vacation....you are doing it right! I have a problem with water too...and have tried lemons, etc....but what I do now is use Crush, a powder that I sprinkle in my water. Pineapple is the best and it only takes a few sprinkles to help me and I never use as much as the package recommends. AND glad you are going to be in our DP Only challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much--I will look for this Crush stuff--what is it in the store by the Crystal light type items? Also, how/where do I check in for the challenge?

      Delete
  3. I love water. You sound like you have this weight loss thing under control. We are finally planning an RV trip in Oct. family sure gets in the way of our own plans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rv-ing is great fun--but it is good to be home; nevertheless--we are talking about our next trip--mid Sept-ish. Where are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you have a blog! Have you tried powerade zero or the flavored sparkling waters to help with the nausea?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear water make you nauseas. I love water. I drink tons of water with the enhancers, i drink sparkling ice and SoBe for on the go. I hope you find one that you can handle water is so important. Joyce B

    ReplyDelete